pearwaldorf: donna noble looking up at something. light falls on her face from above (Default)
[personal profile] pearwaldorf
Wakanda Forever was good for the soul. It is a movie about women in a way that you hardly ever see from men. It's not The Favorite, but it is a story that allows women to be people in the same sort of way: angry and vengeful like Shuri, to bump heads in pursuit of what they think is right, like Raimonda and Okoye.

It is inevitable that it is a story about grief, but how it bookends the movie is so, so tough. I hope the movie was cathartic for Boseman's co-stars. I feel like in the pandemic we've had almost no opportunities to acknowledge or process grief collectively, so it was helpful to see characters processing T'Challa's loss too.

It's funny how much it always feels like pandering or wish fulfillment when Wakandans chastise the West, or exercise self-defense during incursions on their territory; even when you know it's exactly what they would do logically.

Thematically Namor is Killmonger 2.0, with the same sorts of issues in logic even. How does it make sense to treat everyone on the surface like colonizers when so many are still dealing with the effects of being colonized?

Speaking of Killmonger, I was so delighted to see that he was the one Shuri saw in her trance. They're blood, but also share temperament and circumstance in a way that she and T'Challa don't.

Random things:
  • White as a mourning color in Wakanda hits me in the Asian feels.
  • Not to be vain, but I did start a Shuri story post-Endgame that hit a lot of the same beats as the movie and that does please me. I even had a giant DNA display too.
  • M'Baku as wise old counselor amuses me. It is not a role I pictured for him but I like it.
  • I have never liked Ross as a character but it is super hilarious to see him as the voice of reason in the US intelligence community.
  • Touissant is a noble and excellent name, but for a kid being raised in Haiti it's a leetle on the nose, y'know?

Date: 2022-11-19 02:55 am (UTC)
nrgburst: (Default)
From: [personal profile] nrgburst
Very good for the soul! I like how this phase of the MCU is focused so much on grief, actually.

Not to be vain, but I did start a Shuri story post-Endgame that hit a lot of the same beats as the movie and that does please me. I even had a giant DNA display too. That is awesome!

Profile

pearwaldorf: donna noble looking up at something. light falls on her face from above (Default)
a very Nietzschean fish

May 2026

S M T W T F S
     12
3456789
10111213141516
171819202122 23
24252627282930
31      

Most Popular Tags

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 11th, 2026 02:23 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios